CharPad (Free Edition) is a free cross-development tool for designing character mode graphics and game maps for the Commodore 64 computer.
version 2.7.6 was released on 24/7/2020 and can be downloaded from itch.io...
• Design character sets, tile sets and maps.
• Pixel level editing of whole tiles at once (or by placing char images).
• Edit character materials for collision detection purposes.
• Load and save SEUCK (Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit) compatible background files.
• VICE Snapshot Ripper, extract level data from existing games.
• Many useful operations such as scroll, flip, reflect and negative.
• Multiple levels of undo/redo.
• Export - One-click export of all essential binaries.
• Project - Conversion from per-char to per-tile colouring using suitable tests/warnings.
• General - Maximum tile size is now 10 x 10.
• General - Countless code optimizations and bug-fixes.
• Compressor - Sort characters by colour (ascending).
• Compressor - Sort tiles by colour (ascending).
• Image import - Increased capacity up to 500,000 character images (was 65536).
• Image import - Much faster algorithm.
• Binary/Text export - Map data by selected area only.
• Text export - Char/Tile usage statistics.
• Map editor - Box highlighting of "current" cell.
• Map editor - Area fill (solid/incremental).
• Map editor - Delete row/column.
• Map editor - Insert blank row/column.
• Map editor - Dimensions of the selected area shown in status bar.
• Tile editor - Char "Picker" tool.
• Editors/sets - Next/Previous item with keyboard shortcut (F1/F2).
• Editors/sets - Zoom level in status bar.
• Editors/sets - Zoom level shortcut (CTRL + mouse wheel).
• Sets - Mouse wheel for vertical scroll.
• Sets - Box highlighting of "current" items (left/right mouse buttons).